So I have decided to do 100% paleo for 30 days starting Sept. 9 (the first day of the DietBet challenge!) I debated the Whole 30 but I think it’s wayyyyyy too advanced to start with. At least with paleo I can still have some sugars (honey, coconut sugar) and some alcohol (but no beer 😦 my life will be a little sad). I have already begun printing and pinning lots of delicious recipes, and I’m getting really excited! But I have been asked:
“What the heck is paleo?”
Good question! I too had to google the basics of what it entails. The Ultimate Paleo Guide so adequately describes it in 140 characters: “Paleo is real real food that helps your body perform to it’s optimal capacity by eating veggies, meats, fruits, nuts & seeds.”
Basically, you eat like a caveman. Which doesn’t sound terrible! All the meat, veggies, fruit, and nuts you want? Sign me up. The hard part is getting rid of the grains, processed foods, dairy, and refined sugars. In today’s society, we have gotten so used to these things being an essential part of our diets that we don’t even realize how much we consume. I mean, there’s sugar in KETCHUP. Salad dressings. It’s everywhere! Luckily, I have 11 days left before I completely paleo-fy myself. This gives me time to make some of my favorite pasta, rice, and cheesy recipes while also cleaning out all the non-paleo things from my cupboard.
You may be wondering why I am trying this whole paleo thing, since I eat pretty healthy anyways. There are two reasons:
1.) I am doing the DietBet challenge in an attempt to kick-start my flat stomach mission (and perhaps unearth my abs, wherever they may be hiding), and I know that paleo is a great way to lean out. Why else would CrossFitters do it?
2.) I am looking for a way to become “even healthier,” which I know paleo can help me do. It does involve a lot of restriction, but not just to lose weight; rather, it forces you to eat clean, natural foods that you SHOULD be eating. Also, everyone who has tried it says it makes them feel amazing and full of energy. I want that!
You may also be thinking that I am nuts and can’t do this forever. The truth is, I don’t plan to! I am excited to go all in for 30 days and see how I look/feel, but after that time I may decide I want to ease some grains/dairy back into my diet. I know a lot of people do paleo 80% of the time and use the other 20% to eat some non-paleo (but still healthy) things. Because some of the foods that are non-paleo are still good for you!
So here are some of the recipes I’m excited to try!
See, eating like a caveman doesn’t have to be boring! 🙂
And for all my friends who are panicking thinking I can’t drink…here’s a paleo drinking cheat sheet (thanks to PCOS and Paleo!)