Once again, the mighty crock pot has saved the day! I love being able to go to work and come home to a warm, ready-to-eat meal. My friend Katie sent me this recipe and raved about it. I’m so glad I finally got the chance to try it! The sweet potato adds great flavor, while the quinoa thickens it up and adds more protein. It’s the perfect meal for a cold day. Enjoy!
Crock Pot Sweet Potato and Quinoa Turkey Chili
Adapted from: Iowa Girl Eats
- 1.3 lbs ground turkey (I used 93% lean)
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth, reduced sodium
- 12 oz beer
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 oz can corn, drained
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 2 medium (about 1.5 lbs) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped small
- 1 packet chili seasoning
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- Your favorite toppings!
1.) Add extra virgin olive oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chopped onion and cook until soft. Add ground turkey and cook until browned, breaking it up into chunks as it cooks. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, then remove from heat and add to a 6 quart crock pot.
2.) Add remaining ingredients to crock pot, stir, and cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until sweet potatoes are tender. Serve with your favorite toppings!